Monday, August 26, 2013

Nice Best Car For Girls photos

Check out these best car for girls images today:

OMG. IT’S A COMIC BOOK!
best car for girls

Image by Nat W
So, I know these two girls, and they are great friends of mine. On top of that, they have this really cool dad. I’ve known this dude for a very long time (ok, a few years), often invading his living room with friends to watch movies or to check out his awesome Halloween set up (emphasis on awesome). I knew he wrote stuff, but I never really knew what.

Then, a few years ago, he won this fancy award ( Eisner Award for Best Digital Comic ). I was quite impressed, so I went and read the comic, and was in awe at how good it was.

This past weekend I went to visit one of his daughters with a friend of mine at her archeological dig (which was a lot of fun). One thing she brought up, was that her father had a new book. I was ecstatic, and even more so when I found out herself and a few others I know did some of the coloring for the book. So I rushed home the next morning (OK, rushed is a bit much, we were sad to leave and it was an ~200 mile drive) and went into the Borders in Los Gatos, CA. They were sold out! I was quite sad. That night I drove back to SLO, because I had work today.

This morning I woke up and went to work. As noon rolled around, I said "I’m going to lunch" and then ran half-a-mile home, got in my car, and drove downtown. Guess what? THEY HAD THE BOOK! Prominently displayed no less.

So I bought the book, and then went next door and ordered lunch. I got through the first chapter during lunch and had to summon so much will power to go back to work instead of continue reading this fantastic book it was disturbing.

Anyway, here I am, back at work, and I figured I would post a little "book sighting" for my friends the Fies. I haven’t finished the book yet Brian, but it’s awesome so far!

Btw, his blog is at brianfies.blogspot.com/

matuskiwiz
best car for girls

Image by angus mcdiarmid
For the In SRO Land blog: www.insroland.org/

Jan 20 1905
STOPS RUNAWAY AT RISK OF LIFE
OFFICER CHOKES HORSE INTO SUBMISSION
Seizes the Maddened Animal Just In Time to Save a Crowd of Tourists From Injury

In a desperate attempt to prevent a runaway horse from dashing Into a crowd of shoppers at Fourth and South Spring streets yesterday afternoon, Patrolman "Billy" Matuskiwiz, officer of the crossing at that corner, risked his life in bringing the crazed animal to a standstill.

The hour was shortly after midday and the street crossings were thronged with business men and women returning from lunch. Many shoppers were on the streets and a number of people were awaiting cars at Fourth and Spring streets. The horse, a powerful bay, attached to a light runabout, became frightened at a passing car at the corner of Seventh and Figueroa streets and ran away. The animal was not checked until it approached Fourth and Spring streets.

Officer Matuskiwiz was standing at the corner assisting pedestrians to dodge cars when he heard shouts of warning and saw the animal approaching. The officer stepped to the middle of the street and waited. When within a dozen yards of the officer the horse swerved and dashed straight toward a crowd of tourists, congregated in front of the Angelus hotel. As the officer leaped to catch the horse, he found that it had neither bridle nor halter and he was forced to throw his arms around the animal’s neck and choke it to submission. The officer was dragged half a block before bringing the horse to a standstill.

As Officer Matuskiwiz started to lead the animal away the tourists and pedestrians in front of the Angelus hotel, whose lives had been saved by the rescue, greeted Matuskiwiz with hearty applause.

The officer has the record among patrolmen for stopping runaways and during his service on the force has stopped more than twenty animals, without having sustained an injury.

The horse was the property of the National Ice company and was called for by its owner at the police station.

May 16 1910
POLICEMAN SAVES ONE LIFE A YEAR
In Seventeen Years’ Service William Matuskiwiz Has Made a Remarkable Record
HE STILL WALKS A BEAT

Believes in Prison Reform and Declares for Humane Treatment of Criminals

Los Angeles has "a handsomest man" on its police force who in his seventeen years of service bears the enviable record of having saved a human life for every year of service. He is William Matuzkiwiz, who holds down a night beat on Spring and Main streets between Sixth and Seventh streets. Matuzkiwiz is a blunt, plain spoken man and a poor politician, he wears no seargeant's stripes on his sleeve and despite the years of faithful service in the interest of the city he is still just a plain patrolman with no ax to grind in the politics of the police department.

This policeman, unlike many of his fellows, is in full sympathy with the prison reform movement. He believes that kind treatment of prisoners and a recognition of their rights bring the best results. Ten years ago he thought differently and was a firm believer in the iron hand for the man in the shadow of the law. The incident that changed his opinion is best told in his own words.

"I was taking Juan Silvos, a young Mexican charged with a heinous crime, to San Quentin. Silvos had ten years at hard labor staring him in the face. I kept him handcuffed to me on the train. At San Francisco we missed our boat by a margin of several minutes. It would be an hour before the next one would leave. My prisoner complained of being hungry, and somewhat in the fame frame of mind myself, we started across Market street in the direction of a little restaurant. Silvos was handcuffed and I held him by a small chain.

When we reached the center of the street I heard a woman’s piercing scream and looking back saw a little child some four or five years old toddling from its mother into the path of a runaway team. The horses were within several feet of the child. I forgot all about the prisoner in the child’s danger, and springing forward almost before I realized what I was doing, had snatched the little girl from under the horses' feet. In the meantime the mother had fainted and in the excitement of the gathering crowd I ran to her side with her daughter and lifted the mother to her feet. The woman recovered and wanted to know who I was. Her question brought to my mind the fact that a ten-year prisoner was in my charge. Silvos in the meantime had had plenty of time to escape, but turning around I found him at my side quietly looking on. I asked him why he had not attempted to escape. He told me that I had thought of him when he was hungry.

Instead of taking him to San Quentin on the next boat I immediately took the handcuffs from his wrists and showed him the town. We took in everything that was doing, had several good dinners and caught the night boat to the prison. I told the warden of how he had acted and the chief promised to take his good behaviour into consideration.

Silvos was released less than a year and a half after he had been confined. I meet him on the streets occasionally and he is profuse in his thanks. That little experience changed my whole idea of criminology. From that time on I became a firm believer in giving the prisoners a show and treating them like human beings."

032/365 – Have Mercy!
best car for girls

Image by djwtwo
…been waitin' for the bus all (Wednes)day.

Wednesdays mornings are my day to wait for the school bus with the girls, and today was no exception. Since it was a rainy (if unseasonably warm) morning, we were waiting in the car. Just grabbed this shot through my rain-spattered car window as the bus was pulling up.

I tried to get a few shots of the girls getting onto the bus, but didn’t get anything I liked; the effect of the rain in those shots was marginally better, but the composition was off, stymied both by too much of my car interior intruding on the shot and my not realizing I had accidentally switched the self-timer on and missing the best shot I had from that angle.

Still trying to decide if I like this one or not, but it was the best thing I shot all day. I was tempted to crop away more of my car interior here, but after playing a bit I think overall it helps the composition, and I like the little bit of reflection in the side mirror (which is actually a view of my garage).



Tags:best, girls, Nice, photos

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...